Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Chennai and Cricket....I miss both!

Yeah its true......I miss both very badly! Till the last week before I left Chennai 2 years ago, I was playing cricket........so it is something that I miss and not long ago one of the Tamil films "Chennai 600028" which was very realistically based on Chennai's gully cricket reminded me all nostalgic memories of the gully cricket I have played and now its the turn of this new entertainment monster "Indian Premier League" that is reminding the nostalgic memories of cricket I have watched both on TV and on stadium.......Yeah I am talking about the matches played by the Chennai super kings team in Chennai's only International Cricket stadium "M.A. Chidambaram stadium" fondly called by locals like me as the "Chepauk Stadium".

There is something special for me to feel so much on missing the chance of witnessing a cricket match in Chepauk stadium........the reason is this - The last few matches that I went to watch was affected due to rain and I returned home with tonnes of disappointment and now when I saw the sun blazing down for every match.......I feel that I was unlucky a long way! Though the last match I tried to watch in that stadium had gave me only disappointment of not much cricket played due to rain.....There was this lingering nostalgic memory of few incidents that happened along with with it!

The first reason I was so excited to watch that match that day was.....I never watched a day and night ever before in my lifetime and still stands the same!!! Believe it or not......I never watched a day and night encounter in Chennai......very bad for me!

Unlucky was not only me, also the Chennai's Chepauk stadium for hardly getting an opportunity to host any one day international match for quite a while and the day and night event was much beyond dreams (though its a wonderful stadium in par with other few of that kind in the country) This IPL showers Chennai with so much day and night matches now! But am sitting so far from home helpless to witness it along with other fans getting roasted in gruelling heat!!

Since it was a day and night match that time, tickets were priced a little higher than usual and I knew well that its not going to be a cakewalk to get the money from my dad!! I was fighting hard to convince him to get 200 bugs to buy the ticket for the match as I was not earning those days like now and I considered it as quite an achievement to get it done thought it looks funny to think now (perseverance pays off.....hehe)! So I was all excited that I got the tickets and then came the thunder.......Weather report was not missed by me for almost a week and news was not at all that great! Still I didn't lose my hope that match will proceed though knowing well that Chepauk is not an indoor stadium.....hehe!!


Rain didn't let me have fun all the way! I left home with an umbrella for watching a cricket match!! What an irony? Still strong hopes didn't die and I was making up my mind to at least reach there and see how the stadium looks under lights.......something I never witnessed before! After wading through flooded streets, crowded trains and cramped walkways.......I reached the stadium almost 45 minutes late and the funny part is, that was the only time they have played cricket that day!!!! Being Lazy is not going to do any good. ( A moral story....hehe) As I entered the stadium finally......What I saw was a wonderfully looking Chepauk ground and taunting light towers lighting up the green grass and deafening noise of 50000 people minus the men in blue and men in black............! Oh dear.........I was just watching the ground helplessly admiring the beauty though amidst wreckage of my hopes and expectations!! It was music, dance and fun from fans in the stands.......which were very great to witness but "No cricket" that's something I missed it and still couldn't get it back!! I spent almost 3 hours that day hoping there might be some sort of resume of play but what I heard form the announcement speakers was that the rain has turned into storm!!! Much damage has been already done and they finally announced that game has been abandoned and asked the fans to leave who were not in any mood to leave still dancing around with full of hopes!!!

That was the last day for me in Chepauk stadium till now and the unattained dream was carried over with me a long way till Lafayette and I still hope that I will watch a day and night match of cricket at my home ground very soon................But as of now, I miss Chennai and cricket!!!!

No comments: